Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Looking Back on 2013 And Setting Goals For 2014

An Eventful 2013


Last year was definitely a very busy one for me, especially when it came to my running. It marked my second running anniversary, and now that I'm 40 years-old, I'm considered a masters runner - but I haven't mastered anything, I still feel very much like a beginner, and think that's good.

Some obvious highlights were PRs on the 5k, 10k and Half-Marathon, running my first Marathon, and even winning a couple of age-group awards on some of the local 5ks. Another huge milestone for me was going over 1000 miles for the year, finishing a little over 1100. Definitely not bad for someone who started running in July 2011.

But I am particularly happy about what went on behind some of those numbers. I was fairly consistent with my running, getting in 4 runs most weeks, with very few exceptions. I was able to stay healthy and run without any injuries, and I'm very thankful for that. Sure, part of that was due to good luck, but I would like to think I did my part by being more diligent when it came to recovery and prevention work - although not as consistent as I'd like, but I'm working on that.

I'm glad I participated in the Google+ running community, as it expanded the circle of people with whom I can talk about running without the risk of my non-running friends shunning me :). They inspired and motivated me, and made me think about running in a different light than I might otherwise. You ladies and gentlemen are great, and made our sport that much more enjoyable. Thanks for a great year.

And Now's Time For Some Goals

I have learned that I work best when I have objectives to strive for, I tend to be more accountable to myself. Of course I want to set new PRs, but I think those are a result of training and good choices, therefore I decided my goals would be process-oriented.

  • I want to run at least 1350 miles this year, but preferably 1500. In order to get there, I intend to:
    • Run one more day a week, making 5 runs/week my average. I think I can do that by adding an easy 2-3 mile recovery the day after my long run.
    • Increase my typical long run distance. Last year, when not training for a half-marathon or Marathon, my long run was typically between 7-10 miles. After the end of the marathon training cycle, I found myself feeling very comfortable longer runs. The 20-milers still beat me up, but 12-to-16 miles became manageable, so that's what I intend to get to. These two changes should bring me to my goal.
  • Naturally, in order to safely increase that mileage, I need to be very consistent with my recovery and prevention work, so I need to:
    • Continue foam rolling after hard workouts and long runs
    • Keep doing my core and strength work - no skimping on it, mister!
  • Although not running-specific, I want to become a more proficient swimmer. That means getting to the pool every week, and getting some more lessons.
  • Register for at least one trail race. I ran more on trails in 2013, and I would like to race at least once, to add some variety to my racing schedule.
  • And last but, not least, continue to enjoy my running. Keep it fun, keep it going forever.
Have you set goals for 2014? Do you have an A-race this year?

No comments: